14 July 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Biographies


There are so many crappy biographies … would you rather read a poorly-written biography of a fascinating life, OR an exquisitely well-written, wonderful read of one of a not-so-interesting life?
So not a fair question, but let’s see how I do…

How fascinating of a life is it? I mean, if the life is amazing but it’s so amazing that I find I’m enjoying it despite the evil style of the author than can I look past it? Or are we saying that the writing is so poor that no matter how amazing the life is, we can only make faces and lose out interest completely?

But if the writing is wonderful, and the life not so interesting, is that saying the writing is so good that it becomes interesting? And what do you mean by not interesting? (Okay, I would so read a biography of some unknown English Cricket player, but I wouldn’t go near a biography of some world-renowned pop singer.)


I guess I would rather read the well written biography of a not so interesting life. If the writing is good, it should be a lovely read, and who says that the life is interesting to one person and not another? I think it would be horrible to read a biography of a person I admire and have it be written so poorly.


Besides, even though I read to gain knowledge, I do read for the enjoyment of it. Have you ever enjoyed something with really, really bad writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may not always reply to your comments, but I ALWAYS read them! Thank you in advance for stopping by to say hello. If you want a response from me sooner, please check out my 'Contact Me' page.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...