01 September 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Storm Weather




While my town dries out of record-setting, epic flooding from Hurricane Irene, let me ask you:
What’s your book with weather events? Hurricanes? Tornadoes? Blizzards? Real? Fiction? Doesn’t matter … weather comes up a lot in books, so there’s got to be a favorite somewhere, huh?

Ah, Hurricane Irene. Hurricane Irene had me sleeping in a car Sunday night. (Should I totally blog about this adventure...? Maybe over the weekend...) She was not the type of weather I like to indulge in at all, trust me. I love a good rainy day to snuggle inside with a cup of tea and a book. I also love books with a little bit of stormy weather themselves, but this is a hard question.

There aren't any novels that pop into my head that really scream weather. If I went searching for one, that wouldn't be fair. Preston-Child sometimes write in large weather events into their books, but that's only because they just love to complicate things for their characters. A few classics dash in some weather as an emotional  load on the characters, either good or bad.

When it comes to non-fiction, I like to read book where weather has played a part, of course. Books that follow events or battles during the second world war are always fun to indulge in, because weather really affected these movements in history.

Other than that? Nothing. I'm not entirely thrilled by natural disaster themed book, so I don't usually pick one up all excited and read through it. I love a good book where the weather is playing a part along side the characters, but not usually when it replaces the plot.

Do you think I'm wrong? If you know any books where the weather is evident and hard to ignore, please tell me! I love recommendations, and after blogging this, I feel as though I better find a good weather-read quick!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read many weather type books either! I can't wait to read all these things i've done!

    Here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I may not always reply to your comments, but I ALWAYS read them! Thank you in advance for stopping by to say hello. If you want a response from me sooner, please check out my 'Contact Me' page.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...