16 January 2014

I want to talk about Cassandra Clare...

Okay, so some of you might be fans of The Mortal Instrument series by Cassandra Clare, and her Infernal Devices series that exists in the same fictional world she's built. Recently, she announced several other series that exist, yet again, in the same world populated by the Shadowhunters and all the other goodies that Miss Clare apparently spent a crap load of time building and designing.

If you are aware of her fandom, you might also be aware of the fact that her fans are starting to get buggy concerning her need to write series after series in the same exact world. She simply changes characters or time periods, then writes with the same world-building she has been relying on since City of Bones first came out into the YA industry. 

(Series set in the world of the Shadowhunters...
TLH Series
and a shit load more, but I got sick of looking...)


These fans are really, really annoyed. They just want her to stop. They want her to write something, anything, different. (It appears she has, actually. According to Goodreads.)

So I've been thinking about this situation, mostly because I have nothing better to do with my time. I've looked at this from a readers point of view, from the writers point of view, and from the eyes of a person who really enjoys the challenge, and hopefully the reward, of world-building. And I say this, who the feck cares?

I personally have no problems with her writing a series in the same world as her current books. It just doesn't piss me off like it does some people. I don't know if it's because I haven't read all of her currently published books or what, but I just can't get mad at her. I love her world building, and her witty writing, and (so far) it hasn't annoyed me.

What does annoy me are people who need to add reviews on Goodreads for books not yet released to complain about this. To each their own opinion, I know, but I just see it from everyone. Yes, we know, a lot of people aren't thrilled about it. No need to tell me with a bunch of cleverly placed gifs. Maybe if one or two people had mentioned it, instead of a couple of dozen, I wouldn't be annoyed. As far as people going bat crap crazy over this bookish revelation, here are the fecks I give...


Oh, look, there are none... (And see, I can use pretty gifs, too.)

I completely respect everyone's decision to be upset with Miss Clare, and their desire to tell everyone, in every possible, even visual, fashion. I just want to say that I, and I'm sure some other people, are going to buy these books, read them, probably enjoy them, and I'm not going to pop a blood vessel over something that hasn't even been published/given a title/given a real synopsis/received a cover yet.

Rant over, I'm going back to reading. Love you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I may not always reply to your comments, but I ALWAYS read them! Thank you in advance for stopping by to say hello. If you want a response from me sooner, please check out my 'Contact Me' page.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...