04 October 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books that left me with my mouth hanging open...



Alright, so movies that made my mouth hang open... Well, I think the most common types of books that can illicit such a response are usually parts of a series. I think the the cliff-hanger of the end of a book is where I'm most struck. Yes, I get that it's there so that I'll scramble to the book store and buy the next installment, but it works. Other books that strike me as surprised are usually classics, or ones that contain such an emotionally driven plot I can't help but be shocked.

So here we are, without trying to spoil anything for my readers...

1.Cold Vengeance by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child - This is a book which probably only shocked huge fans of the series, like me. If you are a fan, and if you've read this, you totally understand.

2. Here, there be Dragons by James Owen - This was such a fun book to read, and the twist at the end was what really got me!

3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - Some people say they saw the end coming, I say the book is one of my favorites, and whether or not you saw it coming, it was powerful, and rather sad.

4. The Luxe by Anna Godbersen - I know a lot of my readers have read her work, and oh my gosh, are her books not loaded? Does your jaw not drop constantly?

5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling - While I love Rowling's work, I thought a lot of it was pretty predictable. The last book was her final hurrah, though, and I felt like she'd been holding back a lot of her skill. When it all came together, that's when my draw dropped.

Okay, so only five. I guess it takes a lot to really shock me. Once I started to furrow my brow because I couldn't think of anything more, I realized that anything left to think of was obviously not that powerful.

So, what do you think? Similar to your list, or different? Also, any suggestions for some really jaw-dropping novels?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may not always reply to your comments, but I ALWAYS read them! Thank you in advance for stopping by to say hello. If you want a response from me sooner, please check out my 'Contact Me' page.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...